Thursday, August 6, 2009

Asian Music Recap

Hello, loyal readers! I'm sure the two of you really missed me while I was in East Asia. I fully expect to write several blog posts on various topics relating to my trip so go ahead and brace yourselves. Perhaps later I will make a nice, long post about all the Asian bands I already listen to, but not today. Today I wanted to share some Asian music that I either found shortly before going or while on the trip. The music television over there often played - wait for it - music videos all day so a lot of these songs are pretty stuck in my head right now. I hope you find at least one artists you like, but if not it is OK to laugh at the videos. These are in no particular order.

Amber Kuo
Between the round the clock showing of this video, the 'making the video' and the commercial for the CD the chorus to this song is so stuck in my head I may never get it out. Taiwanese.



Outsider
This Korean rapper holds the unofficial world record for fastest rapping: 17 syllables in 1 second. The offical record is only for English, though. Still, he is a very fast rapper.



Car-Sick Cars
Do you like Sonic Youth? If so, you'll enjoy China's Car-Sick Cars.



Super Junior
As much as I know I should really dislike this song I just can't help playing it really loud in my truck. I feel such shame right now. plus, they have like, 80 members or something. Crazy! Korean.



BoA
I have been a BoA fan for a loooong time but it wasn't until i was in Asia that I found out she just released her first English cd in America. Here is the first video off that cd. It is very weir to me because I'm used to hearing her in Korean.



Mouse on the Keys
I really like bands that bascially just make noise. This video is pretty sweet, too. Japanese.



Monkey Majik
Featuring two Canadians, this Japanese band is interesting with the way they switch between English and Japanese.



P.K.14
This Chinese indie-rock band is starting to get some international buzz, from what I understand. Good stuff.



Ayumi Hamasaki
Last but not least - J-Pop star Ayumi Hamasaki. I have been a fan for forever, it seems. I own over 30 of her albums, several concert DVDs, and even a poster or two. Anyway, she has a new CD and the first video from it was airing in Asia while I was there. While not as great a video as some of her older stuff I still enjoyed it.




There are some other bands I could list but I really didn't want to overload you. Please feel free to comment about the videos you liked.

1 comment: