Thursday, December 10, 2009

Are the popular kids actually popular?

Ok, so here is a question I have pondered and proffered since I was actually in high school:

Are popular kids actually popular?

My contention is that no, they are not popular. Allow me to explain.

Note: A lot of this is based off personal experience and anecdotal evidence. If your High School was different huzzah for you.

The "popular" kids tend to make up about 3-6% of the student body population, but to be generous we will say 10%. Except for the genuinely cool popular kids, 90% of the remaining students are apathetic to or straight up hate the popular kids. From my experience, most 'normals' dislike the popular kids.

My assertion is that the popular kids are in fact the most unpopular kids. I mean, a large section of the student body actively dislikes them.

If we accept my conclusion, why are the popular kids considered popular? Easy: treatment by faculty and administration.

Teachers, coaches, and administrators treat the popular kids (who tend to be athletes or the close friends of athletes) differently. They are given special treatment. I'm not really going to expand on this since I assume we all know what I'm talking about since about ten movies with this theme come out every year. The way they are treated by those that run the school MAKES the popular kids what they are.

What do you think? I am always interested in hearing people's response to this question. I think your answer tends to show if you were popular or not. ;) Seriously, though, let me know in the comments if you agree or disagree. Show me where I am mistaken; I'm open to changing my opinion.

Disclaimer: I was not unpopular in High School. I was friendly with most everyone and generally well liked. However, I definitely was not popular. I basically enjoyed High School for the most part (of course, I LOVE cafeteria food), but there were people that everyone absolutely hated that were still considered popular.

BONUS: Here are some pictures of me from High School for you to mock:



9 comments:

  1. From my personal experience most of the "popular kids" came from families of money and power. Yes, there are always exceptions, but you tend to get special treatment when you have parents who can buy and bargain your way onto any team, club and/or organization. And of course appearance is also a strong factor in determining whether or not one will be "popular". As sad as it is to say, looks are pretty much everything when you're that age and it doesn't seem to get much better the older you get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just graduated high school and I was by no means popular. I've always heard that popular kids don't really amount to much in the real word. Have you found this to be true or is it something that only happens in the movies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it has more to do with their person's talents and skills rather than their popular. I know kids that were popular and used that as an excuse to do zero work and others that have gone on to be doctors and dentists.

    I think they take home lesson is that high school exists to get you into college. Other than that, high school really doesn't matter. Good times or bad times, it is more what you do in college that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britney Spears is popular :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally know where you are coming from. I actually use to be one of them till' I found out how stupid I was acting and I could be arrested. At my school only a handful do stupid things. I mean don't judge them, because they are human too they have problems too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For clarity: I don't have a problem with popular people, per se. A lot of unpopular people are unpopular for a reason: they are lame or a jerk or whatever. I just believe the only thing that really separates the unpopular from the popular is the way they are treated by the administration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are Popular Kids Actually Different Then Any One Else?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't find the cake. You can only see it at the end of the credits. So, really, the cake isn't a lie, since it does exist. Whether you were ever going to get any of it remains open to debate, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First impression is the last impression.and first is popular Actually everyday is popular.best post for information.

    ReplyDelete