Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The cake was a lie: Portal


I know I am way behind, but I finally got around to playing/beating Portal. I really wish I had played this sooner! Since it has been out for a few years now I won't go into tons of detail describing it but lazily link to other sources (IGN, Wiki). Portal is basically a puzzle game that you solve with your gun that shoots portals. As accurate a description that is, this teaser video does a better job of explaining how this works itself out in gameplay:

..

From the robotic voice of GladOs (that my wife hates) saying hilarious things to the fun of just falling through a line of portals, Portals is one of the funnest games I have played in a while. You can pick it up in a variety of ways: Xbox Live, stand-alone, or (the way I recommend since you get Half Life 2) as part of The Orange Box collection. You can pick up The Orange Box for $15 used most places. The Xbox Live version does have an extra 14 challenges though....

Seriously, if you are any type of gamer I can't recommend this game and more strongly. It will only take you a few hours to get through it, but you will definitely want to replay it. I leave you with a video made to the greatest credits song ever, Portal's "Still Alive" (sung by GladOs itself):

..

.

4 comments:

  1. Is the game Portal just you and you have to make the entrances and exits and stuff. or do you get weapons and kill people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portal 2 has been announced and valve have already given many hints. But will there be...cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were can I download the game Portal free. If there are other games called portal, it is the game were you can shoot portals and you are trying to kill the computer that tried to kill you. Were can I get it for free?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a great idea for a video game but have little or no experience in programming or computers. How would I go about being a video game writer, like a screenplay writer? Is there a certian fromat that it would have to be written in for submission to an actual designer?

    ReplyDelete