Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ok, can you stop touring for a few months?

I am soooooooo ready for a new As I Lay Dying cd. They are one of my absolute favorite bands. It also didn't hurt when I found out a few years ago that all the members are Christians. I especially like their answer to the question about it on their official site FAQ. Their answer is pretty much spot on with my opinion of musicians that are Christians that don't form the traditional Christian specific band.

Are you guys Christians in a band or a Christian band?
I'm not sure what the difference is between five Christians playing in a band and a Christian band. If you truly believe something, then it should affect every area of your life. All five of us are Christians. I believe that change should start with me first, and as a result, our lyrics do not come across very "preachy." Many of our songs are about life, struggles, mistakes, relationships and other issues that don't fit entirely in the spiritual category. However, all of these topics are written about through my perspective as a christian.

How can you be a Christian band and go on tour with bands who represent themselves as evil, satan worshipers?
We hope to intelligently represent a faith that has been very misrepresented in the entertainment industry. There isn't much diversity of thought within metal music and I believe it is important for people to understand opposing views before drawing conclusions. I hope other bands and their fans have an open mind and respect for what we are saying, so it's fair for them to expect the same from us. If truth is the basis of our belief, then the questions other bands/fans have are an important way to understanding what/why we believe. Most of the bands we tour with would never hear a well represented explanation of Christianity if we just stayed home.

Anyway, here are two of their videos that go together off their last album. I link to the lyrics at the bottom since I'm sure most of you don't have 'metal ears' and can't understand a word they say. ;)





Part 1: Nothing Left
Part 2: The Sound of Truth

.

No comments:

Post a Comment