Friday, March 13, 2009

How LotR Should Have Ended Video



Ok, I readily admit that I am a huge geek. I don't think that there is really anyone that knows me that would challenge me on that fact. Under the general "geek' umbrella, however, I am also many types of type-specific geek, such as Anime-geek, Star Wars-geek, Fantasy Novel-geek, and so on an so forth. One of more more primary associations is as a Lord of the Rings-geek. That's right kids; I'm a Ringer. Heck, for over ten years I've had posters for the BOOK on my wall. Gandalf sits in front of my TV while poor Faramir is forced to watch me work all day from my candy tray. I tell you this so you aren't caught completely off guard when I go hardcore fanboy for a second.

**puts on uber-geek hat**

This video lacks support from the book canon. First, the Eagles only show up with a free flight at the end after the defeat of the winged Nazgul. Prior to this, any attempt to fly into Mordor would have been fruitless. Now, one could argue that the Nazgul were not given their flying mounts until after their defeat at the Ford of Bruinen. However, I think it is unlikely that they were not already stabled somewhere in waiting. I could be wrong on that.

Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, no ring bearer would ever willingly destroy the ring. The hold is just too intense, even after only a short time carrying it. Has no one read The Similarion? It just isn't going to happen, as we saw when Frodo failed to cast the ring into the fires of Mount Doom "unassisted". Therefore, even if the ring was carried by any other member, that ring is not going to be dropped into that fire on purpose!

**takes off uber-geek hat**

In the end, I found this video to be very funny. It did, however, cause my head to nearly explode.

These guys have a lot of "How [movie] should have ended" variants here.

.

4 comments: